Monday 25 August 2014

VW Golf GTI Mk2 Fuel Economy - How Many MPG from 1.8 Litre Engine?

The VW Golf MK2 is a 30 year old design as it was released in 1984. How economical is the 1.8 litre 8V engine? Does it compare to current cars or is the economy and MPG far worse?

VW Golf GTI Mk2 Fuel Economy - How Many MPG from 1.8 Litre Engine?
VW Golf GTI Mk2 Fuel Economy - How Many MPG from 1.8 Litre Engine?

In my 1986 Golf GTI 8V I got an average of 37MPG in the 18 months I owned it. That was a mix of motorway and town driving. The range was a best MPG of 45mpg and worst was 33mpg.

I've not done enough miles in my current 16V to be able to tell the accurate MPG but I'd expect it to be a little worse than that. However my 16V has had many components replaced whereas the 8V was mainly original so there may be little difference between them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment