Friday 15 August 2014

VW Golf Electric Window Switch Broken

The passenger window switch was missing when I bought my MK2 Golf so one of the first jobs was to investigate what was wrong. A replacement switch was under £10 and very easy to fit. Having done so the window immediately worked again.

An easy and very cheap fix and I found it very odd that the previous owner hadn't bothered to do themselves.

I bought on Ebay from a seller called Tierod69 that also operate a shop nearby called B&B Components who have proved to be very useful for VW Golf Mk2 parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-SWITCH-191959855-C400-/221144010249?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3AGolf%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II&hash=item337d35ce09

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I bought my Golf with a similar problem. Both switches were cheap Chinese parts and the motors were slow. Previous owners simply didn't care much about the car and what an icon it is.

    Gicho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising that for some small amounts of money these problems can easily be fixed but people don't bother. I'm just so pleased that I've been able to work through the list of issues from when I bought the car and fix so many of them

      Delete
    2. Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes I agree. I don't know how many Golfs I've owned since I passed my test 19 years ago but I can definitely say that I've loved all of them, right from the 1ltr through to the VR6 MK3 and the 16v MK2 I currently own now. If possible and with time and some small amounts of help from you I'd like to get them as straight as possible. With your wealth of knowledge I feel that I've got a chance and I'm not fighting the good fight and losing. I've learnt more from your blog than I have from forums and books alone. I'm having major issues at the moment with the hall sender unit inside the dizzy. The Golf is a non runner as a result. I've found a few places that do full Bosch recon dizzys, however, I thought I'd ask you for any advice. Only broke today so it's all pretty fresh in the memory.

      Thanks again

      Gicho

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the lovely comments, it sounds like you have more experience than me! My first Golf was in 1998 and I think I've had 7 since then. Other than the 8v MK3 GTI I've loved them all too!

      The hall sender problem I had was with the plug and wires breaking, unfortunately I've not had to replace the whole unit. I've found VW dealers to be excellent so if you need a part replaced it may be worth trying them first.

      Delete
    4. Hi, yes the stealers are useful from time to time and I try to use them for absolutely everything but they discontinued the reconditioning of distributors for the mk2 in 2013. I've got one this morning brand new from euro car parts. I'll be fitting this evening when I finish work. Fingers crossed it will work. Also, where did you send your front seats for repair?

      Thanks

      Gicho

      Delete