Wednesday 3 September 2014

VW Golf MK2 16V Turns Over But Wont Start - Hall Sender Wire Broken

After replacing the distributor cap and rotor arm on my VW Golf MK2 16V I found that the engine would turn over but wouldn't start.

I rechecked all the leads and connections to the distributor cap, checked the rotor arm and spark plug connections but all seemed to be fine. The engine would turn so the battery was fine as was the starter motor so I decided to leave the car overnight and come back with a fresh pair of eyes after some research.

One thing I hadn't checked was the connections and wiring from the hall sender to the distributor. On closer examination and removing the rubber boot over the hall sender lead plug I found that 2 of the hall sender wires into the plug had broken only leaving one connected.

I stripped the wires back and temporarily pushed them into the plug then tried starting the car. Bingo it fired into life first time! Next job to make a permanent solution to repair the hall sender/hall sensor plug so the wires don't come out again.

VW Golf MK2 16V Turns Over But Wont Start - Hall Sender Wire Broken
VW Golf MK2 16V Turns Over But Wont Start - Hall Sender Wire Broken
The 16V Golf GTI has been running rough over the last couple of weeks and I'm now pretty sure that the cause has been the wires to the hall sensor gradually breaking up and losing connection. Hopefully once the wires are repaired to the plug all will be back to normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment